When you work-full time as a teacher in New Mexico, you may qualify for 0% interest when your NMSL Stafford and/or Grad-PLUS loans enter repayment. NM Student Loans is proud to offer Teachers for Tomorrow, a program to address New Mexico's teacher shortage. Our goal is simple - to make teacher education programs more accessible and help recruit and retain quality teachers for the state.
- Must be employed full-time.
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelors degree.
- Must be directly employed by the school system in a public or other nonprofit elementary or secondary school in New Mexico.
- Must provide direct classroom-type teaching, or educational service directly related to classroom teaching, such as school librarians and school guidance counselors.
- Supervisors, administrators, researchers and curriculum specialists are not considered teachers unless they provide direct and personal educational services to students. However, if you begin receiving Teacher for Tomorrow benefits and are then promoted to one of these positions, you may continue to receive your Teacher for Tomorrow benefits.
- During your initial year of eligibility, you must teach for a minimum of one semester. For any subsequent years, you must teach for a complete academic year or its equivalent.
Certain restrictions may apply. If you have any questions, please contact us.
You may also print the Certification form on our forms page. This form must be submitted at the beginning and the end of each academic year in order to receive the Teachers for Tomorrow benefit.