Content Row Style:
“One teacher can change the world”
There are multiple federal loan repayment programs to encourage you to enter a career as a teacher and help decrease the amount or pay off your student loan. There are three programs to incentivize teaching in New Mexico. The New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) has two loan repayment programs for teachers and we (NMSL) have one program to encourage teaching in New Mexico. There are also several Federal Loan Programs for teachers.
Disable Mouseover Effect:
Content Row Style:
NMSL Teachers for Tomorrow Program
NMEAF and New Mexico Student Loans is proud to offer Teachers for Tomorrow, a program to address New Mexico's teacher shortage. Our goal is simple - to make teacher education programs more accessible and help recruit and retain quality teachers for our state.
What are the benefits of the NMSL Teachers for Tomorrow Program?
Qualifying teachers get 0% interest when your federal loans enter repayment.
- Have your interest reduced to 1.25% on qualifying consolidated loans.
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelors degree.
- Must be directly employed full-time by the school system in a public or other nonprofit elementary or secondary school in New Mexico.
- Must provide direct classroom-type teaching, or educational service directly related to classroom teaching, such as school librarians and school guidance counselors.
- Supervisors, administrators, researchers and curriculum specialists are not considered teachers unless they provide direct and personal educational services to students. However, if you begin receiving Teacher for Tomorrow benefits and are then promoted to one of these positions, you may continue to receive your Teacher for Tomorrow benefits.
- During your initial year of eligibility, you must teach for a minimum of one semester. For any subsequent years, you must teach for a complete academic year or its equivalent.
New Mexico HED Teacher Loan Programs
The New Mexico Higher Education Department has two programs to offer student loan benefits to teachers.
New Mexico HED Teacher Loan For Service Program
This program can award you up to $4,000 per year to help you pay for your teacher education. The program is available for students who have financial need as determined by the FAFSA and Teacher Loan For Service Application with the NMHED. Learn more and apply for the New Mexico Teacher Loan for Service Program
New Mexico HED Teacher Loan Repayment Program
This program is designed to help pay off federal student loans for teachers who enter qualifying high-risk public schools that are not meeting acceptable academic proficiency levels and are located in areas with high rates of poverty. To qualify you must be a licensed New Mexico teacher and a New Mexico resident. To qualify you must complete two full years as a teacher in the qualifying school. Learn more and apply for the New Mexico Teacher Loan Repayment Program
Federal Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers
This program is where the U.S. Department of Education repays a portion of your Federal student loan.
What are the qualifications for the Federal teacher loan forgiveness?
- Have a qualifying type of federal student loan that is not in default
- Work as a full-time teacher for consecutive years at a qualifying elementary or secondary school that has been designated as a "low-income" school What are the benefits of the federal loan forgiveness program for teachers?
- Qualifying teachers in elementary and secondary schools can receive up to $5,000 of your loan forgiven
- Qualifying math, science and special education teachers can receive up to $17,500 in teacher student loan forgiveness
How do I apply for the Federal loan forgiveness for teachers?
You may apply for cancellation after completing the five-year teaching requirement but before that time you can apply for forbearance to suspend your student loan payments.