Managing Student Loans
We’re proud to have helped hundreds of thousands of students pay off millions of dollars in student loans since 1981. We’re here to help you take control of your financial life and provide the resources to manage and repay your student loans.
Top 10 reasons why paying your student loans on time is essential
Did you know that not paying your student loan is one of the worst things you can do? Not paying your loan can have serious consequences for your future.
- Not paying your student loan bill on time (delinquent or default) can follow you for your entire life.
- If you don’t pay, your wages could be garnished or the government could withhold money from your tax returns.
- A delinquent or defaulted loan can destroy your credit and make it difficult (or impossible) to get a credit card, auto loan or a home mortgage.
- You may also have trouble getting a cell phone plan, renting an apartment, or signing up for utilities.
- You might be charged a higher interest rate than someone with good credit.
- You could be taken to court by your lender and be charged additional court costs, attorney’s fees and other collection fees.
- You may not qualify for certain jobs that require an employee background credit check.
- Your school may withhold your academic transcripts until your defaulted loan is resolved.
- It could take many years to reestablish a good credit record.
- Student loans are not eligible to be discharged in bankruptcy (student loans are only discharged in bankruptcy in very rare cases of “undue hardship”).
We’re here to help you find the best option to pay your student loans and avoid all of the tribulations that come with delinquent and defaulted student loans.
Contact us for questions about managing and paying your student loans.
This link will take you to an external website. New Mexico Student Loans is not responsible for that site's content.