Forms & Tax Info

Information to Manage Your Student Loans


Here is our comprehensive list of student loan repayment forms. Please read the eligibility criteria summarized on the form very carefully to determine which form is appropriate for you. Return the completed forms and any required documentation to us at:

NMEAF – New Mexico Student Loans
P.O. Box 27020
Albuquerque, NM 87125-7020
Fax: 505-345-7269 or 505-341-9361


Please contact us at 1-800-279-5063 or 505-345-3371 if you have any questions or need assistance with these forms. 

The forms are available in portable document format (PDF). If you do not have a PDF reader, you can download a free copy from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Federal Student Loan Forms

Perkins Loan Forms

Download, complete and return the following PDF forms for Perkins loans:

General Forms:

Deferment Forms: 

Forbearance Forms: 

Cancellation Form: 

Additional Benefit Forms at UAS

Need help with Perkins Loans?
Our team is here to help you find the best repayment options for your Perkins Loans. Contact us:

Automatic Payment Form

Claim a Tax Deduction for Student Loan Interest

If you made payments on a student loan last year you might be able to claim a tax deduction for the interest. This student loan tax deduction reduces your total taxable income and therefore lowers the amount of taxes you are required to pay. Payments on student loan interest is considered a tax deduction in some cases.

You must meet income and other eligibility guidelines to qualify. And if you do qualify, you can claim it even if you don’t itemize your deductions because it is a deduction adjustment to your actual income.

Calculate your Student Loan Interest Tax Deduction

1098-E form If you paid $600 or more in interest in a qualified student loan over the course of the year, it will show up on this form. We will mail this form to you if you paid over $600 in interest. You can see how much interest you paid and also access tax forms within your Account Access.


When do I have to Pay Taxes on Student Loan Cancellation

1099-C form If you had loan relief or cancellation of $600 or more you will need to report the amount to the IRS as taxable income. We will mail this form to you if $600 or more was cancelled or forgiven. You can view your account and access tax forms within your Account Access.

What other types of tax benefits are there for college students?

Besides the student loan interest tax deduction there are several different tax credits that apply to higher education expenses. If you qualify, tax credits can help offset the costs of college. There are also educational savings accounts available that have tax benefits to save for college expenses. Learn more

Contact Us

Borrower Contact


TTY: Dial 711
(Hearing/Speach Impaired)

505-345-7269 or

Contact us through your
Account Access Login  

Defaulted Loan Contact


505-345-8821 Ext. 2110


Perkins or Campus-Based Loans Contact


505-345-8821 Ext. 2102

New Mexico Student Loan Ombudsmen

Have problems with your loans? Contact our Ombudsman to get additional help.


What is a Student Loan Ombudsman?

An Ombudsman is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans. 

We strive to provide the best customer service. Please contact a supervisor or manager if you need additional assistance at 1-800-279-5063.

If you have already talked with us but still feel like you need additional assistance, our Ombudsman is available to help you. Our Ombudsman, Beth Leeway, is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans and Guaranteed Student Loans.

Contact the NMEAF Ombudsman

Beth Leeway, Ombudsman New Mexico Educational Assistance Foundation
P.O. Box 92230
Albuquerque, NM 87199-2230

Toll-Free: 1-800-279-3070, Ext. 1366

Need additional help with your loan dispute?

The U.S. Department of Education has created the Office of the Student Loan Ombudsman to assist borrowers when all else fails. Contact the Department of Education’s Ombudsman at:

Office of the Ombudsman, U.S. Department of Education  
Room 3012, ROB #3 7th and D Streets SW
Washington, DC 20202
Toll Free: 1-888-557-2575